I remember things being spelled differently

Share your personal MEs aka Glitch in the matrix (Gitm)
Forum rules
Please stay ontopic in this subforum. If you want to share your own personal experience, start your own topic.
Libranaster
ME affected: Yes
FlipFlop(s): No

I remember things being spelled differently

Post by Libranaster » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:45 am

I was always an excellent speller and my mother was very strict on my spelling so I am really shocked that some things I am 100% sure I know how to spell have changed. The thing I can most think of is a lot I am not sure precisely when a lot became two words but suddenly the computer started correcting me. It was very confusing for most of my life a lot was one word alot. If I had it wrong I would have been corrected by my mother, teachers and grandparents! I just go along with the change but there are other words that I know I spelled correctly that the spelling has changed making a near perfect speller now very reliant on spell check because I can't spell anymore. Things I KNOW are proper grammar have changed! I honestly I couldn't cope in the end in my creative writing class because I had grammar and spelling disciplined into me I couldn't change that discipline for anyone and the grammar expected of me wasn't correct! I know its a weird thing to notice but its something I personally have as an experience and its driving me crazy because of how harshly grammar and spelling was drummed into me! I will add words to this post as I come across them that I very confidently have spelled a certain way all my life and never been corrected on that are now coming up as wrong!

Libranaster

Re: I remember things being spelled differently

Post by Libranaster » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:55 am

Febuary has become February
neXus
Admin
Admin
FlipFlop(s): Yes
Religion: Other

Post by neXus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:17 am

@Libranaster

Hello and welcome to the forum. Awesome that Australia is aboard now too :D

Although i am german, i also noticed that some english words are different now to what i learned.

Interestingly, i learned February at school and Febuary looks very foreign to me. In german, the second month is called Februar, which is similar to the english version, that's why it was easy for me to remember.

However, i also remember alot like you do and not a lot. Also definately changed to definitely for me.

So yes, all these changes are indeed very weird and i hope you can just get used to it and not go crazy. You are not alone, friend ;)
mandelAffected
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
Libranaster

Post by Libranaster » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:17 pm

It makes me feel crazy but another thing I remember is Courtney Love actually dying not long after Kurt Cobain she killed herself like a year or two after and people were like "oh its guilt over him killing himself because of her!". Apparently that didn't happen though! Next thing I knew she was still alive! What the fudge!