When did you become aware of the Mandela Effect?

General ME discussion

When did you first experience the Mandela Effect?

before 2000
No votes
between 2000 and 2005
No votes
between 2005 and 2010
25%
between 2010 and 2015
25%
between 2015 and 2018
50%

Total votes: 4
neXus
Admin
Admin
ME affected: Yes
FlipFlop(s): Yes
Religion: Other

Post by neXus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:57 pm

So it seems, the ME has been going on for years. It might as well have been there all the time and people just didn't really notice.

I joined the ME club pretty late, in October 2017. I came across that term in a forum and although it sounded very familiar i had no clue what it was. So i decided to "refresh" my memory and looked up the definition.
To my surprise, i never heard of the definition before, although the term "Mandela Effect" felt very familiar.

So i started researching and reading everything i could find about the ME and got one WTF moment after another. When i came across the 6 seater from the JFK assassination, i instantly knew something wasn't right.

I wasn't sure about the majority of the MEs i read about, but the few ones i was sure about, convinced me that there is indeed something strange going on. So i became a believer.

Then i read about FlipFlops and kept watching a few different brands, pictures, etc, because i wanted to experience one, so i could completely rule out the "false memory" argument for me. Unfortunately nothing flipped and nothing flopped and i started wondering of vivid memories really could be false memories, although i found it very odd, how many people can have the exact same memory of something that never existed.

Then i learned about the KitKat ME and read a recent post, how it FlipFlopped. I have to admit, that i could not remember if it always had a dash or not. I looked it up and it had a dash. So for 3 weeks, i checked the logo 3 times a day - online and in a printed flyer from LIDL and memorized: Kit-Kat does have a dash
After the 3 weeks (mid November 2017), i read a thread where people claimed it had FlipFlopped. As i did not do my daily check yet, i immediately looked it up and - WTF - it no longer had a dash. So my first thought was, the images online have been replaced, which wouldn't be impossible as it is just digital data.
So i took my flyer to expose this fraud and - WTF WTF WTF - the logo in the flyer had changed as well.

Until today i have witnessed multiple FlipFlops of fresh memories, so i no longer have any doubts.

I also remember, some years ago i was regularly watching "Sex in the city" with my girlfriend. One day i noticed, that it said
"Sex and the city" and i was really confused and thought i read it wrong all the time. After all, this can happen, it's not like i never made a mistake in my life before. That might have been my first ME, but i can't remember the year and didn't know about the ME at that time.

mandelAffected
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
alt reality
ME affected: Yes
FlipFlop(s): Yes
Re: When did you become aware of the Mandela Effect?

Post by alt reality » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:58 am

I had a realization that something was not quite right when a friend and I were viewing some music videos at work on break. When I suggested
one I distinctly remembered from back in my military MTV days called "RIO". We went to TIVO and and the video loaded up. The music was
perfect but the video was all wrong. It had the group on a sailboat, sailing in the Caribbean? The video I distinctly remember has a blonde lady
(looking unbelievably like Kim Baysinger) walking over sand dunes in a sheer outfit and possibly a bikini near the Rio Grande which makes perfect sense for the video. Sailing in the Caribbean is completely unrelated. My friend being quite a bit younger, said that's the way he's always remembered
it. I later checked the Duran web sight and it related this sailing video, was the original, but I positively know better. I still can see most of the video
I remember, play back for me by memory. I don't know what else to tell you. The video I remember was circa 1982, summer of. Does anyone else remember the video I do?